Humility Leads to Thanksgiving and Worship


"Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position" James 1:9.

Over the years of walking with the Lord I have discovered a few things about myself. When I first began this journey I purposed in my heart to put my old ways behind me forever. As I journeyed on I discovered that wasn't as easy as I thought. I soon discovered that getting rid of the old behaviours was one thing while getting at the root driving them was quite another. Even Jesus proposed that cleaning the outside of the cup wasn't enough (Mt. 5:27-30). Like an onion, the Holy Spirit revealed to me over time layers of self that were in need of sanctification ... transformation of my thinking, attitude, and beliefs that did not mirror His was in order. However, I was unable to do it alone. I needed Holy Spirit intervention. What has kept me throughout this journey has been the mercy and faithfulness recorded in scriptures.

In a paradoxical kind of way, or perhaps ironical, the failures of my Christian predecessors have given me cause for much hope. Scripture has provided an opportunity to observe God's reaction to the failings of His people, even some who had committed great unrighteousness. Through their weakness I have discovered the lovingkindness of God, and through my own weaknesses I have been prompted to ask the question, am I better than Peter who denied Christ or the man who cried out help my unbelief? No certainly not, but sometimes we as Christians can seem to have an attitude like we are better than those who don't believe. Sometimes it seems we are uncomfortable around "sinners, and according to my observations most people of non-faith feel that way about us. Rick Warren makes an observation that I think deserves consideration, he notes that in Jesus day people flocked to him, they crossed lakes to get to Him, they walked for miles just to see Him, while today many wouldn't dawn the door. They do not feel comfortable in church. Some say church is the last place they would want to go. Why? Isn't the love of God there?

How often have you come across someone who has felt this way, or felt afraid they would be judged? It would be all to flippant and irresponsible of us to respond back with, 'well it's because they are sinners ... they feel guilty but do not want to change'. Really? Sinners didn't seem to have any trouble eating and drinking with Jesus. They weren't trying to get away from Him, and He wasn't trying to get away from them. In fact if I recall correctly that's what got Jesus in trouble with the religious Pharisees, etc.


Am I sending a message to those around me that I am somehow better than them because I have chosen not to act in certain ways? Does that make me a good person? It is interesting that Jesus qualified that term in Luke 18:19, "No one is good except God alone". But if no better than what? Well maybe I should start with forgiven! 

 
Subsequently the many accounts of failure by God's people in the bible have assured me of God's desire to show mercy (Mt. 9:13), and so I am encouraged to come boldly, albeit humbly, before the Lord of promise in my time of weakness and failure. I get it that most of us are not comfortable of talking about this. We aren't comfortable talking about personal sin, failure and weakness. In fact we go way out of our way to deny it. We talk about the victorious life, overcoming, and a life of blessing, and while these truths are ours in Christ, they are not ours by virtue of, or conditional upon, our own 'goodness' or socially acceptable behaviour. The core of the salvation message isn't God saved you because in you He saw something inherently good, it's because He is good and so God made a way of salvation to the incapable and undeserving. While thinking too high of ourselves isn't appropriate, neither is not seeing any value in humanity. God created us on the sixth day and said it was very good (Genesis 1:26-31).

Nevertheless, to continue down this line of thinking, though I am then not better than Thomas who doubted or David who lustfully looked upon Bathsheba. And I'm not better than Paul who rejected Mark or John who ran away the night the soldiers came, I have access to the same mercy and grace they experienced. And while all these scriptural accounts then provide me insight into who is man and who is God ... mostly who God is ... through them I discover that I have value to Him ... and that is meaningful.

So I am very thankful for my God who didn't condemn Thomas for his adamant unbelief, for Thomas said unless I place my hand in His wounds I will not believe, but instead Jesus met Thomas at his point of need and said 'if this is what it takes, here thrust in your hand'. I am thankful for the God who met Peter by the shore of his failure and restored him from his great denial. I am thankful for the God Who works reconciliation despite Paul's rejection of Mark. Furthermore, I am thankful for the God who despite David's folly didn't disown him but confronted David in his sin and led him to repentance and restoration. I am thankful for the God who despite John abandoning Jesus in His time of trial, bestowed upon him such a great revelation and testimony of Christ that continues to fill Christians with awe and wonder today. I suppose one of the points I am trying to make is that their weaknesses did not seem to dissuade the Lord of Hosts. Yes there were likely tears, and yes there was repentant confession, but one can't help but consider that God used these as an opportunity to reveal Who He is, and not as an opportunity to disqualify the offender. So then through these I discover the God of reconciliation, 2nd chances and 3rds, the God of 70 x 7, and a God, according to N.T. Wright, Who is missioned to reclaim, recover and restore, a fallen creation, and prefers reconciliation over condemnation - mercy over judgment. Scripture has become my window into this reality.

It often seems that many in Christendom reject any idea of weakness or defeat, excessively embracing triumphalism, and conveniently blaming everything on the devil. And I've noticed a trend where a great emphasis is placed on 'elite' leaders who are the so called 'spiritually giants', apparently designated by God as ‘spiritual captains and commanders’ of the church, a heavenly appointed militia on earth raised up to slay devils and topple unearthly kingdoms. While many look to these to appease their own sense of weakness and brokenness, I will celebrate the God of mercy and lovingkindness, the God of the imperfect and poor in spirit, the God Who eats and drinks with 'sinners' like me. I will look to Him.

These might tell you victory is something you have to claim if you want to experience it. While it is true we have a part to play in responding to the gospel message, it is often packaged in a teaching that emphasizes faith as a 'force' that you move God through to get the desired outcome. This brings me to a point of contention, or I should say controversy. While there are those who weigh in heavily on the scripture that says 'without faith it is impossible to please God', they forget that it is not referring to a ‘faith in faith’ dynamic. Our faith is in a Person, and what they proclaim. However scripture must never be treated like a book of magic recitals. Some say that speaking the word out loud has more power (What did it have before??) than meditating on it and using the word as a basis for our prayers and personal consolation. Moreover, those who propose such things, wrongfully assume they can command God, making a way for God to move through positive confession and an absence of doubt. Such are the erring assertions of the prosperity gospel preachers. They suggest that God is somehow controlled by His word when recited by the believer, especially in the absence of doubt. To them I would propose they have the cart before the horse here. God isn't controlled by His word, He is His Word. We must be careful not to turn the scriptures into a magic book.

Frankly, I am concerned about and suspicious of the teaching presumptuously designated as the "laws of the kingdom”, i.e. those teachings that proposes that the words we speak and the attitudes of our heart indirectly or directly tie God's hands or obligate Him - as if God were limited by anything other than His own nature and purpose. Here God’s actions are relegated to Newtonian concepts of cause and effect based on what we confess. Moreover, this teaching asserts that should we think or speak improperly we can invite cursing on ourselves where God is rendered powerless to do anything about it. If this were true the actions and words of our predecessors, A.K.A. the apostles, would have prevented them from accomplishing their mission ... from pleasing God. Some of them were doubters, some betrayed, and if you want to talk about negative confession just read David in the Psalms, or Job who covered his mouth in guilt after God revealed Himself. To me those high energy hyped up popular kind of teaching does more to demonstrate man’s attempt to control the outcomes. It appears to be another attempt to control his life instead of surrendering it. What was once called hyper faith may turn out to be really no faith at all.

So I am thankful for scripture that focuses on God's character and intention in the light of man's weakness and brokenness, on events that show off God's goodness rather than false teaching that emphasizes only those with perfect faith and words can accomplish the will of God. No, give me teaching that shows me Who God is, over ‘pop psychology’ and the ‘how I can make God to do stuff’ or how I can 'command' the universe to cough up the world's best for me. Thank you for the discovery that it is God's character that drives His promises and not the other way around. That His promises were meant more as a signpost to reveal God’s nature and intention than a formula for success. It is the revelation of God's character that gives me comfort when storms rage within and without. It is His promises in light of that character that gives me hope and assurance when I discover I am in need of further transformation. Everything is about serving His pleasure and not primarily my own, and subsequently through this I am blessed.

Yes, I am thankful for the testimony and gospel of Christ Jesus Who came to show us the Father. I am thankful God's love is not bound and conditional upon my performance, status, vocation, bank account, or education. I am thankful for the God Who despite my weakness, He is strong. Yes Lord, when I consider all Your goodness, words fail me and all I can do is bow and worship.



Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A.W. Tozer Chapter Twenty: The Love of God

A.W. Tozer Chapter Fifteen: The Faithfulness of God

A.W. Tozer Chapter Nineteen: The Grace of God